…Mother Earth, our source of life. We give thanks for all we have. Food, water, air and shelter. All who are brothers and sisters we ask we always remain interconnected in the web of life. We ask for strength to defend our Mother Earth when she is in need. We promise to always walk softly upon your face for underneath our feet are the roots of trees, flowers and grass. Thank you Mother Earth.
Fun Facts about Earth Day:
• Senator Gaylord Nelson conceived Earth Day in the early 1960s.
• The first Earth Day was in 1970.
• The government responded to Earth Day with environmental legislation.
• Earth Day went global in 1990.
• About one billion people recognize Earth Day each year.
• Earth Day always falls on April 22.
• It’s known as “International Mother Earth Day” around the world.
• Worldwide initiatives have benefited the environment.
• This year marks the 52nd anniversary.
Ways you can participate in Earth Day:
• Recycle plastic bags. Most businesses, such as Food Lion, Walmart and Target gladly received single use shopping bags. Most of the time there is a receptacle to deposit them as you enter the store.
• Plant a tree. Many municipalities give out saplings on Arbor Day.
• Ride your bike. Minimize air pollution.
• Minimize your use of pesticides.
• Do not throw trash out on the ground or in our waterways. This is detrimental to our wildlife and the environment. If you see trash laying on the ground, pick it up and dispose of it properly.
• Upcycle wood pallets. They can be used as garden boxes and can even be transformed into furniture.
Make Every Day Earth Day!